Here is the sharp reality: Managing marketing projects is tough. But don’t worry, there are some established practices you can use to make sure your projects go smoothly.
Successful marketing project management streamlines team efforts and ensures that marketing efforts remain in step with shifting consumer tastes and industry trends.
But, What is Marketing Project Management?
Marketing project management is the process of organizing, supervising, and completing marketing-related projects.
The methods and results of project management work well in marketing, which needs logical steps and the coordination of resources to make sure that things go well and produce results.
In its simplest form, it means figuring out how to reach a goal, what needs to be done, how to do it, and then making sure it happens.
The Marketing Project Management Life Cycle
One helpful way to think about a marketing project management structure is as a four-stage process. The stages of this cycle are:
- Start: This is the stage to establish the project’s goals that will later lay the foundation for how successful your marketing process is streamlined.
- Plan: This is the stage to focus on the deliverables and set a budget. Make sure to estimate the entire project scope.
- Execute: This is the stage of the lifecycle when the team is expected to put the project plan into action. Make sure everyone has a clear understanding of the core objective of the project.
- Evaluate: The last stage is the point at which a project is completed. This is also the point where the marketing team will decide whether a project has been successful or if there is a need to try something new entirely.
This stage is also important as it promotes continuous improvement of marketing efforts.
Marketing Project Management Tips
Now that you are an expert on the marketing project management lifecycle, here are the best tips for you to put into practice right now if you want to manage your marketing projects better:
Define Your Marketing Goals
If you don’t want a recipe for failure, you need to define your marketing goals right away. It is crucial to focus on this step as you want to attract the right customers and grow your business.
Start by asking yourself some questions like: “Do I want to improve brand awareness?” or “Do I want to increase website traffic?”
Prioritize Marketing Projects
Prioritization is the key to every process, but it is more valuable in marketing projects. To improve your marketing results, always prioritize your tasks depending on your main goal instead of doing them in a random order.
This means you should grab a pen and paper and make a detailed list of the marketing initiatives you want to accomplish.
After you’ve completed that, consider where these projects rank in terms of growth. The projects that will provide you with the most growth should be prioritized. Other work should be put off till later.
Consider Adopting an Agile Approach
Agile project management allows you and your team to break up large projects into smaller portions called sprints.
This approach works effectively with ongoing marketing projects like website optimization and content development as it allows you to continuously work on these tasks, ensuring that the company’s marketing initiatives stay aligned with the goals.
Use a Project Template
There is a lot that goes into project planning. Managers must commit time and effort to research, budget creation, and hosting kickoff meetings, among other things. Getting a project ready for launch is a time-consuming process, and you don’t want to make it any longer by building unnecessary workflows.
As opposed to building a workflow from scratch, which can take a significant amount of time, using a digital marketing proposal template can speed up the deployment of an entire project significantly. There is little left to do but fill in the specifics, such as allocating roles and establishing due dates.
What Effective Marketing Project Management Can Do For You
92% of marketers think that collaboration with their teammates could be improved. This speaks to the importance of effective project management.
Effective marketing project management encourages long-term efficiency gains for marketing teams:
- Consistency: A clearly defined process leads to more consistent work.
- Collaboration: Teammates are encouraged to keep projects moving faster and work together.
- Thoughtful Planning: Projects are more meaningful when you look at each part under the microscope.
- Accountability: When things are clear and easy to understand, it is much easier to tell who’s on task and who might be having trouble with their task. Effective marketing project management also offers teammates to empower and help each other.