SEO copywriting is a very important component of every SEO strategy. The task of creating it is quite challenging, because crafting a publication that is unique and targets your audience, is a very engaging and complex task. Search engine algorithms are constantly updated and we need to focus on them all the time if we want to be relevant. Also, it is very important for the information to target users, not just search engines.
We have managed to create, in our opinion, the ideal structure and we recommend following it. It includes the following elements:
- thematic image – there must be one image under the title;
- introductory paragraph – the introduction sets out the reasons for writing the text itself. The purpose of the introduction is to acquaint the reader with the topic or plot;
- list or table – inside it you can list products, brands, features or make a comparison between different items, etc.;
- conclusion – here we can write a summary of the topic. It is important to have logical completeness of the text.
There are 3 very important steps that we recommend that you follow before you start writing the text. They are the following:
- collecting a semantic core of keywords and phrases;
- writing the text;
- text editing.
When we publish content on the Internet, our goal is to get people to read it. The best way to reach more readers is to optimize the text for search engines. Search engines nowadays analyze all text and look for key elements that show the depth of information in the content.
The chance that our posts will get a higher ranking on Google depends a lot on the SEO strategy, as well as on the semantics. Using semantic keywords is not difficult, but it takes time. Every time you create new content, you need to use keywords and long-tail keywords.
For example, if your topic is “dresses”, then the keywords can be “dresses” and “types of dresses”. Your long-tail keywords or phrases can be “which dress to choose”, “which dress suits me”, “what dresses are fashionable”, etc.
How to start semantic keyword research?
A good way to find relevant keywords is to use the Serpstat tool. If we write, for example, the word “Dresses”, we can see similar results:
Search by related keywords:
We can also use the tool when creating a thesis for the publication:
We need to have clear answers to questions such as:
- What is the purpose of the article? What do we want to achieve?
- What will be the main topic of the publication? Or what question do we want to answer?
- What is the target audience?
- What information is necessary to write the relevant text?
- What will be the structure of the text?
Writing the text
This is the actual process, which takes no more than 25% of the total time. One piece of advice from us – just write! Many people, when they start writing, worry unnecessarily about the side factors. You are not on an exam. Write everything that comes to your mind, and then just edit it. You do not need to have the perfect text structure right from the beginning and to follow any specific rules. Open a new page and just write the text. In this step, it is very important to create the main content.
There are certain rules, of course, that are recommended to follow, because this way you will have a properly structured and ready for optimization text. The rules that it’s good to keep in mind, are the following:
- The volume of the text — approximately 2000 characters (without the punctuation marks). Тhe length of the text is determined on the basis of competition analysis, but at a minimum, it must be 2000. For English-language sites, the competitive text analysis is obligatory.
- Do not use transaction keywords (price, buy, prices) more than once per 1000 characters.
Modifiers are words and expressions that are used in some combination of keywords.
You have an online store for tablets. It is much better to optimize your title by: “Lenovo Tab Tablet on Top Price” than “Lenovo Tab”. Very often, people add a price modifier when searching for a product (“product” + “price”).
Those are the transactional searches. The user has turned to a model or brand and is looking for what offers are there. The chance to convert this way is much higher.
- Do not use the same theses for different texts.
- Keywords can be used in different gender, case, number, etc.
Example: study, teacher, teachers. There must be at least a few theses fully developed. If these theses are not relevant, please use more appropriate ones, based on the suggested keywords.
If we use Serpstat, we can offer the following theses:
- Lack of spelling and punctuation errors – we recommend this spelling tool.
- Text uniqueness no less than 95% — to check the uniqueness of the text we recommend the Advego tool.
It is good to mention that the uniqueness of the publication that you create is extremely important. Otherwise, you may experience trouble from Google, in particular with the Panda update. This is an algorithm that monitors the poor quality in texts and the non-unique content of the pages.
- A Minimum of 2 subheadings (in <h2> tag) – it is recommended to have at least two subheadings in the publication itself.
- The subheadings in the text should correspond to the main theses of the text.
- One paragraph should not exceed 500 characters.
- One sentence should be no more than 250 characters.
- Presence of lists or tables in the text (one of the two is obligatory):
- When using lists, end each first or consecutive enumeration with a semicolon “;” ;
- The last listing must end with a “.” ;
- When writing the text for a “Category” page, use at most one list or one table.
- You can use more than one table or list when writing a text for a Product page.
- Absence of introductory and superfluous words.
- The text should contain terms that are thematic to the landing page.
- The text should be easy to read without unnecessary repetitions of the same thought.
- Use bold and italics only to highlight important information for the user, not for keywords.
- Do not put punctuation marks at the end of titles and subheadings.
- Try to stick with a “human” way of writing text (i.e. the word order should be as people normally talk, and it should not look like spam text).
- Do not use one keyword more than 3%.
- The Ideal structure of the text (we shared this above in the article).
- Use the following technical assignment to address copywriters when an SEO text is to be created.
This is the last phase of writing. The last step takes the most time, which is understandable. Here you should already make a more thorough analysis of your publication. Read it and correct any inaccuracies. We recommend that you take the following actions:
- review the text and read it aloud — reading aloud helps to understand how it sounds and how people would react when reading it. An assessment must be made of what is appropriate to leave in the text and what needs to be changed to sound good;
- shape the structure of the text — start formatting the text according to our template. Check what your title is, and the subtitle too. Are the lists arranged correctly and do they have a complete look;
- check for punctuation and spelling errors;
- analyze the logical connection of the sentences;
- ask for feedback from a colleague/friend about the text – ask for the opinion of another person and let them advise you what might change and why;
- check if it meets the rules for writing a text.
It is very important to follow all the steps when creating SEO texts. You need to be organized and have a plan for how things should happen. As a conclusion, we would give you the following tips:
- Take enough time to get the side information you need about the subject of your publication;
- Don’t be afraid to create the text – write and recreate on a white sheet all your ideas for the publication;
- Follow the appropriate grammar and punctuation rules. This gives the impression of professionalism;
- Make maximum use of thematic vocabulary and synonyms;
- Create unique texts. It should be useful and easy to read. Create texts for people, not for search engines;
- The text needs to contain a call to action;
- It is desirable to add sensations to the text (imagine how, how you feel, touch, etc.).
- Have fun while creating content. Be creative, innovative, and original. This will bring you the best results.
About the author
Martin Zhelyazkov is an SEO specialist in Performance Marketing Agency Netpeak. His various years of experience in the field of SEO are mainly focused on online stores, web portals, and corporate sites. His mission is to support the development of the digital marketing field by writing articles about SEO’s best practices, conducting workshops, seminars, and participating in specialized digital marketing conferences.
Netpeak Agency is one of the largest Performance Marketing Agencies in Central and Eastern Europe, part of the Netpeak Group, with more than 3000+ successful projects. Netpeak’s portfolio of services includes SEO, PPC, CRM marketing, PBN, SERM, Big Data SEO, ASO (App Store Optimization). Netpeak is owner of various internally developed international tools such as Serpstat, Netpeak Software, Academy Ocean, etc.